"Cool" & Innovative Approach
Being and appearing "cool" is important for many young people. Health Hop® makes the learning experience fun and presents healthy behavior and compliance as "cool".
- Reaching teens with health information and effectively teaching them is essential for good health and compliance.
- Health professionals must use effective techniques to achieve these goals.
- Today, Hip-Hop is the music of choice for many teens and is the ideal genre for capturing their attention.
- Health-Hop®, medical rap music, has been created for this purpose and its effectiveness has already been demonstrated.
Music Is Conducive to Memory
Music Affects the Brain
- Music : Can evoke alpha & theta brain wave states
- Music: Can stimulates the left & right side of the brain.
- Music: Can unify& stimulate cognitive function.
- Music: Automatically touches 3 of the 4 modalities that process information.
- The Auditory
- The Kinesthetic/Tactile (Movement)
- The Tactual (Emotional)
- The Visual modality is also stimulated when lyrics are viewed.
Rap Songs Are Ideal For Memory
Rap: spoken or chanted rhyming lyrics with a syncopated, repetitive rhythmic accompaniment.
- Rhythm can enhance memory. The song used to teach the ABC’s is one example
- Rhymes have been shown to enhance the ability to recall information. The effectiveness of using mnemonics to aide in study is based on this principle.
Health Hop® Songs Use An Evidence Based Approach
- All songs are written based on information gathered from a thorough review of literature and guidelines and recommendations set forth by organizations including the American Academy of Pediatrics, The American Academy of Family Physicians, The Center for Disease Control, American Lung Association, American Academy of Asthma Allergy and immunology and others.
- A comparative study concluded teaching asthma information using the Health-Hop ® rap songs Asthma Stuff Part 1 and Asthma Stuff Part 2 was more effective than a conventional lecture on asthma.
Healthy People 2010
Important health issues have been addressed through Health Hop®, including several of the Healthy People 2010 Leading Health Indicators.
LEADING HEALTH INDICATORS
* Physical Activity
* Overweight and Obesity
* Tobacco Use
* Substance Abuse
* Responsible Sexual Behavior
* Mental Health
* Injury and Violence
* Environmental Quality
* Access to Health Care
The Leading Health Indicators will be used to measure the health of the Nation until 2010.
Each of the 10 Leading Health Indicators has one or more objectives from Healthy People 2010 associated with it.
As a group, the Leading Health Indicators reflect the major health concerns in the United States at the beginning of the 21st century.
The Leading Health Indicators were selected on the basis of their ability to motivate action, the availability of data to measure progress, and their importance as public health issues.
(U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
"Health professionals must use effective techniques to reach teens & children with health information."